Monday, November 26, 2012

November 26, 2012


Well. . . I’ll be home for Thanksgiving next year.  I can’t wait for that....hang out with the family in the barn and eat real food, and not this stuff we have here in Paraguay.  Our Thanksgiving was good...we made Tacos.  Better than last year with Empanadas.  But it was an alright day, just way too hot!!!  Sad that you didn’t get to go up to Washington for Thanksgiving.  I hope everyone comes to Thanksgiving at the barn next year.  

I don’t really remember a whole lot from this week.  We had some great lessons with Nelson, Cantalicio, Cezar, and Alex.  We have really been able to help them feel the spirit, and start to receive a testimony of the Restored Gospel.  Alex is a new kid we have.  He is 20, is married, and served a mission for some church for 2 years and so did his wife, one of those years was in America.  So that means that both of them are agents who act...we haven’t met the wife yet but she wants to meet us.  Alex really wants to find out if it’s true.  We actually taught him this morning at like 9:00.  We taught him the Gospel of Jesus Christ or in other words, Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Endure till the End.  He is from Brazil and is still learning Spanish.  So most of what he says is in Portuguese.  My comp doesn’t understand that much of what he says...but I was surprised when I could understand that much.  He always says the prayer in Portuguese and I can understand all of it....it’s pretty cool...I just can’t really speak it.  But he is teaching us how to speak.

Sunday was sad because we didn’t have anyone come to church.  So they now do not have baptism dates....only Alex for the 8th of December.  We walked way out like 2 and a half miles to Nelsons house to bring him to church but he was sick and couldn’t come....so we were really tired Sunday, because we had to walk so fast to get out there.

This week I finally finished Alma and I am in Helaman.  And in Portuguese I am in Words of Mormon....still a long way to go.  Also I have been studying about our free agency and about being an agent.  We are all agents already, but how many of us really act for ourselves every minute of the day.  That’s what I am really trying to do in these last 4 months of the mission.  Be a better agent and do stuff of my free will and not because I have to clap houses or because I have to talk to that guy on the street.  This is really helping me to grow up more....and make man decisions.  Sometimes we feel that we are not really effective missionaries, so that’s why I am trying to get better with this.  We just felt a little down this week, so dad the quotes that you sent to me were inspired...I needed them...thanks.  I too found a great quote by Elder Holland this week, it’s not that directed the gospel but it’s funny:

He said,  Elders, if you we looking for your wife right now, which would you choose, the one with the pretty face or the one with the strong testimony???  He then replied saying, choose the one with the pretty face, you can gain a testimony!!!  HAHA

Mom, I now know how it feels to have an Iphone in your hands and use it.  Yesterday Alex sent us a message asking when we could meet again...and we don’t have any minutes left and it’s against the rules to send texts from our phones, we used some ladies phone to send Alex a message and it was with an Iphone.  It was awesome....I’m so getting one now.

That’s so cool about all the new missionaries getting their mission calls. I’ll bet Dalton gets his before I get home right?  And tell Aaron Hansen to have fun in Uraguay, he is going to freeze!

Also, we went to the cemetery this week.  Big mistake!  Never going back.  It’s not like in America where they get buried under ground.  Each family has its own little house in the cemetery and they put the coffins in there for the whole family.   I thought it was going to be like on rocky when they put the body in the wall then seal it off with cement or something.  They don’t!!!  They just have the coffins all lined up on the ground or on shelves.  I’ll send a pic.  IT was nasty, and creepy.  

And this week we got caught in the rain...I have videos and pics for ya...

love ya all
-- 

Taylor


Cemetary in Paraguay

 This is one family's "house" to store all of the coffins

Taylor is pretty grossed out by it!

Standing on a bridge, caught in a downpour . . .

This is what was below the bridge . . . yuck!

Look what only took 3 weeks to get to Paraguay and in his hands!  AMAZING!




No comments:

Post a Comment